Sunday, February 17, 2013

Tales of a Toddler Bed

We knew it was a little on the late side to have Caleb transition to his toddler bed from his crib, but I hadn't wanted to do that before/right after we moved (I figured that would be a big enough transition already.) and I didn't want to do it right after Gunther was born. (For obvious reasons)

So here we are. Caleb is almost 2 1/2 and Gunther is quickly outgrowing the pack and play bassinet. The crib needs to be vacated. Pronto.

I decide to try to do nap time in the big boy bed. That was a mistake. It is light and he has lots of energy. A few minutes after I lay him down I hear noises. When I peek in he is throwing all his animals between the bed and the wall. We dig them out and I push the bed tight against the wall. I tuck him in again and give him strict instructions to stay in bed and go to sleep.

A few minutes later I hear noises again. This time he is rocking his Tigger in his rocking chair. "He was crying Mommy!" Back in bed again. More strict instructions about staying in bed. 

The next time I go in he has found his alarm I hid in his closet. He had completely reset it. 
(We use it to let him know when he can "wake up" in the morning. He has to play quietly in his room in the morning until it goes off. Then he knows we will come get him.)

I decide to call it a wrap and put him back in the crib. 

Evening approaches and I wonder about trying again. Matt is taking a paramedic refresher course during the day but will be home around bedtime if I need back up. Gunther goes down early. This is my chance! 

We rock. Then he wants to rock Tigger. Then he wants to get his favorite truck. We get him all situated with all 1476 of his animals. He tucks himself in "all by me self." I decide to camp out in his room and read on my phone.

"What you doing mommy? You reading your bible? You looking at pictures? Picture of me? I like my Orange truck. I put little Tigger in it. I sleep with Dalmation doggy. He pretty cute." 

"Shh. No talking. Lay down and sleep."

Thump.

"My Tigger jump out of bed."

"No he didn't. You threw him. Stop doing that. Go to sleep"

"My blanket came off."

"Okay, I'll help you."

"NO! I DO IT!"

"Fine."

"I want a drink."

"You already had one. You're fine. Lay down. I have an idea, how about I sing to you?"

"Otay."

I start singing. 

"No Mommy, sing Jesus Loves Me!"

"Okay. Jesus Loves me this---

"Mommy you singing too loud. I trying to rest."

*Trying not to laugh* "Okay, I'll sing quieter."

"Jesus Loves Me---

"I can't hear you Mommy!"

The garage door opens.

"That Daddy! I better go see him."

"Okay. Fine."

After hugs were given to Daddy, Daddy rocked him, laid him down, and closed the door. There were some tears involved, but soon he quieted down and fell asleep. Caleb woke up happy as a lark the next morning.



Success!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment