Saturday, July 2, 2011

Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp

My Rhubarb has just gotten to the height where I can start picking in so I put together this summer crisp. The first time I made it I didn't have enough rhubarb, so I added strawberries. It was such a hit that I decided to modify the recipe.

Preheat oven to 375.
Grease a 9x13 pan and fill it with 8 1/2 cups of rhubarb and 1 1/2 cups of strawberries. (I used frozen.)

Stir in 1 cup of granulated sugar and 6 T. flour to the fruit.

In a large bowl mix;
1 cup quick oats (You can use rolled, but I like the texture of quick better)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 t. cinnamon

Cut 1 stick of cold butter into chunks and add to mixture.(Cutting it into chunks makes it easier to cut in.)


Cut in butter with fork and knife. (Or pastry cutter.)

 
The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs.

Pour crumb mixture over fruit.


Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly around edges.

Here's the finished crisp:



Vanilla ice cream is not optional. :) Enjoy!

A couple comments:
-You could make this straight rhubarb, but you would probably want to increase the gran.sugar to 1 1/2 cup.
-You can substitute any fruit for rhubarb. (Cherry, blueberry, raspberry, and apple. With the apple you wouldn't need the flour in the fruit mixture.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment