Sunday, January 1, 2012

Our Tree

You're probably thinking, "This girl is a little late on the tree post." Yes and no. Christmas is past, but I actually just put up our tree on the 27th. 

Let me explain. We have a 15 month old that is very curious and explorative (I just made up that word) and I thought that putting the tree up might be more trouble than it's worth, but he has done so well when we're at his grandparent's I decided to put it up after all. After Christmas. I've always been a bit of a rebel. My Hubby likes to leave the tree up till Valentines Day anyways, so we still have lots of time left to enjoy it. :)

Growing up I always thought our tree was kinda ugly. Lots of construction paper ornaments with glitter, macaroni, and ric rac. Not Martha Stewart-ish at all, more 'I was made by a 3 year old' chic. I loved the trees at department stores. Color coordinated and perfectly decorated.

When I got married I decided to have a themed tree. Silver, white and red. I bought little holly clusters and a variety of coordinating ornaments and a matching red star. It was quite lovely, but it meant that some of the ornaments we had from childhood (My mom bought me one every year.) didn't match. This made me a little sad, but I left them in the box. Each year I put up the themed tree I couldn't shake the feeling that something was missing.

This year I decided that while themed trees are pretty to look at, they don't have a lot of heart. So I hauled out the childhood ornaments (Minus a couple of real rag tag ones. :) and now have a tree that makes me smile and brings back childhood memories.

 This was an ornament from my mom the first year we got married.


 This is a vintage ornament from the 60's that was my grandma's.



 Our first Christmas.


 We got this one on our honeymoon Alaska.


 This is one of my favorites. My parent's got it for me the year I was born.

 C loves the tree! When I first turned it on his eyes just glowed!


Trying to take a bell off. :)

Happy New Year!


 

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I do a theme tree with white and snowflakes, but you are right, there is just something missing. I think all the memories and special ornaments are important. Your tree is so pretty. I like the memories it invokes! :)

    ReplyDelete