Friday, January 13, 2012

Roasting a Turkey 101



Roasting a turkey in the oven used to scare me.

The first year we were married and hosted Thanksgiving I was terrified I would mess it up! It would be too dry, not cooked through, burned, etc...

I made my 4th turkey a couple days ago and realized- turkeys don't scare me anymore!

The bonus is that if I get a 12 pounder I can make three or four meals from it. Here's how I roasted my turkey:

Thaw the turkey completely. (There are directions on the package. Usually you will want to thaw it in your fridge for 3-4 days. After it is thawed, remove the neck and giblets. Rise cavity with water and salt the interior.

(For Thanksgiving I used a bag and cooked the turkey all night. These are directions for roasting a turkey in a few hours, sans bag. I always heard that a bag made a more moist turkey, but I thought this one was very tender.) 

You'll want to put something in the cavity. I just used an onion cut into quarters. Of course you could stuff it with dressing or be creative. I've heard of people using oranges and lemons cut in half, or lime and fresh thyme.


Next I melted 2 T of butter to drizzle on top. 



Now for some spices.... I chose sage, oregano, italian seasoning, and black pepper.


 Here's what it looked like when I was done sprinkling:


Put on the lid for your roasting pan (or make a foil 'tent' to keep the turkey from getting to brown or spattering. Put in in an oven heated to 350 degrees.


I would like to say two things about this picture:

1) My name is not Louise J. The pan was a Goodwill score. ($4)

2) That is not my oven. My oven sparkles and is shiney and clean. ALWAYS.
I clean it with vinegar and baking soda everyday. Right after I run 5 miles and scrub the bathroom floor with a toothbrush.

Anywhoo.....

Here is the finished product!
 It was quite yummy! 

Here's what I did for meals with it:

1. Sliced turkey breast, green beans and hashbrown casserole

2. BBQ turkey sandwiches

3. Spinach salad with cut up turkey, black olives, croutons, cheddar, and onion.

4. Turkey carcass soup with dumplings.

Weekend Bloggy Reading


five days five ways | feature friday free for all





3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy; I'm impressed. Gotta love Stringtown for bulk spices; I go there all the time to stock up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elyssa, thank you for linking this up today at D2F! I am going to pin this because I wasn't so lucky with my Thanksgiving turkey this year : /

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Louise! :) Your turkey looks and smells (yes, I can smell it from here) fabulous. I always let me husband bake the turkeys.

    ReplyDelete